Utah Fire Prevention
Safeguarding against potential fire hazards will significantly reduce the likelihood of a fire affecting your home and family. Make fire prevention and safety a priority in your home.
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it monthly.
- Prevent electrical fires by never overloading circuits or extension cords.
- Use appliances only as directed by the manufacturer. Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible.
- Keep fire in the fireplace. Use fire screens and have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Install an affordable home fire safety sprinkler system. In addition to keeping you safe, they can increase property value and lower insurance rates.
- Plan your escape. Practice your exit strategy from every room in the house.
- Take the time to educate your children about the dangers of fire.
For more detailed information regarding safety planning and fire prevention, visit the U.S. Fire Administration’s website: www.usfa.fema.gov